Call for Papers
1st East & West Conference on Translation Studies – Translation History Matters
School of International Studies, Sun Yat-sen University | SYSU, China
Faculty of Letters, University of Lisbon | FLUL, Portugal
Sun Yat-sen University, Zhuhai Campus, China
26-27 September 2013
This conference aims to provide a biannual forum for East & West dialogue on Translation Studies. This inaugural edition will be dedicated to “Translation History Matters” and welcomes contributions addressing issues related (though not circumscribed) to translation history, historiography and metahistoriography. Centred on translation understood as an intentional phenomenon of human and mostly intercultural communication, this conference aims to focus on the role played by translation in Eastern and Western cultural practices and encounters through history as well as on the role of history to understand both translation and translation studies. By bringing together Eastern and Western views on a multitude of translation history matters, this conference aims to stress why, how and for which purposes translation history matters.
This conference will be organized in five plenary lectures and multiple parallel sessions on different topics such as the following:
- Translation and History: On-going Projects to Map Translation
- Translation in History: Main Periods and Trends
- Translators in History
- Translation Studies in History
- Translation Theory in History
- Method in Translation History
- Historiography: Main Issues in Translation History
- Translating Otherness: Eastern configurations of Western Identities
- Translating Otherness: Western configurations of Eastern Identities
- East and West Encounters in Translation: Main Issues and Protagonists
Abstract Proposals and Deadlines:
Submissions for 20-minute papers should be sent to east.west.conference2013 and they should include:
Title of Paper:
Abstract (500 words in English)
Bio-Note (max. 100 words, mentioning main research interests, projects and selected publications)
Language of Presentation:
Deadline for proposals: 30 June 2013
Communication of Acceptance: 26 July 2013
The language of this scientific meeting is English. Papers in Chinese and Portuguese will also be accepted. Paper proposals must be submitted in English. There will be no interpreting during the conference.
- Martha Cheung | Hong Kong Baptist University
- Huang Guowen | Sun Yat-sen University
- Anthony Pym | University Rovira I Virgilii, Tarragona
- Alexandra Assis Rosa | Faculty of Letters, University of Lisbon
- Teresa Seruya | Faculty of Letters, University of Lisbon
The scientific committee chairs plan to edit a volume with a selection of papers to be submitted for publication in a peer-reviewed collection by an international publisher.
Local Organizing Committee:
Huang Guowen (Chair)
Huang Guowen (Chair)
Alexandra Assis Rosa (Chair)
Regular fee: 250 USD
Student fee: 125 USD
The registration fees will include admission to the plenary and paper presentations, conference documentation, coffee breaks, lunches and dinners during the two days of the conference.
Payment details: Registration fees are payable on site (one day before the conference).