Translation and Interpreting or in Applied Linguistics (business English studies)
Xi’an Jiaotong – Liverpool University – Department of Languages and Culture
Vacancies: Lecturers in Closing date: 4th April, 2010
- MA or postgraduate professional diploma in translation or interpreting
- Extensive translation and interpreting experiences between English and Chinese, including consecutive and simultaneous interpreting at international conferences and business negotiations, and translating of written texts in the field of business and finance.
- Previous experience of teaching translation and interpreting courses in a higher education institution
- PhD in Applied Linguistics, Linguistics, English Language or related areas of business language studies
- Previous teaching experience in Applied Linguistics in relation to business English studies at a higher education institution
- A proven track record of research in Applied Linguistics, business English or related areas of language studies
General requirements for the post
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a team
- Highly self-motivated and self-organised
- High sense of responsibility
- To prepare and present lectures, seminars and tutorials for undergraduate degree programmes of English and Finance/International Business
- To develop teaching materials for modules of applied language studies, especially modules relating to the analysis of language use in advertising and business communication, or modules of translation and interpretation between English and Chinese
- To undertake research suitable for publications or dissemination at conferences, workshops and seminars
- To be involved in applying for external research funds and contribute to the University’s research profile
- To support and comply with the University’s teaching quality assurance standards and procedures
- To report in the first instance to the Head of Department
- To undertake any other appropriate tasks which may be identified in the first instance by the Head of Department.
You must have had teaching experiences preferable in an English-speaking institution and have demonstrated the ability to perform internationally recognized research. You should have high standards of professionalism and have the skills and ability to complete tasks and duties effectively to required deadlines. You should have the ability to communicate with both the teaching and the research communities. Overseas experiences in teaching and research will be an advantage.
Terms and conditions
Salaries are negotiable with the salary range for lecturers up to 24,750 RMB per month. The salary is supported by an extensive benefits package for ex-patriot staff relocating to China including accommodation allowance, travel allowance, medical insurance and relocation allowance. Academic staff may be entitled to an income tax “holiday” of up to 3 years depending on their nationality and personal circumstances.
How to apply
To apply, please provide a CV, a covering letter in English outlining your interest in the post and explaining how you meet the criteria (this is particularly important as it will be taken into consideration when short listing applications), and complete Applicant Information Form and Equal Opportunity Form. Further details about XJTLU, job description, Applicant Information Form and Equal Opportunity Form can be found on our website: http://www.xjtlu.edu.cn. A CV, covering letter, completed Applicant Information Form and Equal Opportunity Form should be sent to Jobsfirstname.lastname@example.org.
Informal enquires regarding the vacancy may be addressed to Dr. Zhoulin Ruan, email: Zhoulin.Ruan@xjtlu.edu.cn.